Monday, September 5, 2011

Mom Post #2

Prayer

One of the things that we do when we walk around the hospital is to talk to most of the people we come in contact with. We have been able to meet some amazing people who are going through difficult challenges. Sometimes, we just say a quick hello and smile and we never know what they are facing, but hopefully we’ve been able to lift their spirits a little. Brittany’s challenge is often times easier for us to deal with because we have done it for so long and our hope is that maybe we can encourage those who are here for a short time to realize that they can make it through. Tonight on the elevator, I talked with a man from Raton who has a five year old son with several breaks in his arm. It has been a challenge for them being so far from home, but his son is doing better and they are getting ready to go home tomorrow. When I mentioned that we will be at the hospital until Sept 8, he looked at me funny so I said we’d been there since July 6. He immediately looked to the sky and asked God to bless this person that he had just met. I thanked him and we went our separate ways. I felt the spirit strengthen me as the Lord blessed us for the righteous prayer made for us. It made me think of all the many thousands of prayers that have been uttered in Brittany’s behalf.

Sunday, I talked with another mom from Taos whose 15 year old son was just diagnosed with Leukemia. I have talked with her several times and we talk of how we pray for each other. We talk with Brittany’s primary doctor about miracles and he tells us that we believe in the same God even though we worship differently and he lights a candle for Brittany. There are so many who in a desire to be strengthen pray or put her name on their church’s prayer roll. I strongly believe that we are able to withstand the challenges that we do because we are being blessed by the prayers of many.

Prayer is a way for us to be unified together. We are all striving for the same thing. It helps us to develop those Christlike feelings of charity and love one to another. As I pray for the other patients and their families, I feel a kinship with them and know that, even though I can’t do anything else to help, I am helping to lift and bless them. Our prayers have not yet been answered as we would like. We always wish that we could have Brittany entirely healed and not have to return to the hospital. But, we know that our prayers and the prayers of the many family, friends, and acquaintances, and even strangers have been answered. The Lord blesses us and helps us to feel the love and support of many. We joke that if the Lord were going to heal anyone, it would be Brittany, because half of Albuquerque is praying for her. But it is only half joking, because we know many are and it is a wonderful blessing to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment